This is one of those dishes you can throw together in 10 minutes and just put straight in the oven, then wait. A no fuss kind of dish which is perfect for entertaining, as you can just put it in before your guests arrive and you’re not spending all your time in the kitchen. Also perfect for feeding a big family on a budget. This meal can feed 4 hungry people for under $15.
This isn’t the best photo to sell this recipe (I was in a bit of a rush) but I can assure you it tantalises the taste buds and is a perfect Winter or Summer dish.
Allow 15 mins for preparation and 1 hour for baking at 180 degrees Celsius. Be sure to preheat the oven before beginning the preparation.
Also, if you can’t get your hands on Thyme, you can use fresh oregano instead.
Ingredients. (Serves 4)
2 large lemons, 8 chicken drumsticks, 2 brown onions, a bunch of fresh Thyme (about 5-8 sprigs), olive oil, 6 potatoes halved (with skin on or off).
1. Peel and slice onions into rings then spread over the bottom of the baking dish. Just to make a layer of onions.
2. Place chicken drumsticks on top of the layer of onions.
3. Halve potatoes and spread them out amongst the chicken in the baking dish.
4. Cut lemons in half and squeeze over the chicken and potatoes. Then place the remaining lemon skins amongst the chicken and potatoes.
5. Sprinkle the sprigs of thyme over the chicken and potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Then drizzle some olive oil over the dish to finish off.
6. Place in preheated 180 degrees Celsius oven for about 1 hour, but this depends on your oven. You need to check after the first 30 minutes and the every 15 minutes after that until they are cooked. You can tell they are cooked when they are golden brown and the chicken is no longer a pinkish colour.
Serving Suggestion – a green salad to share, some green beans and a maybe a glass of Sauvignon Blanc to accompany.